The Dalby Golf Club was formed at a public meeting convened by Mr W.J Vowles, at the Windsor Hotel on July 30th, 1926. Prior to this golf had been played on Duffys green, adjacent to the Myall creek.
A general meeting on August 20th, 1926 accepted a nine hole layout designed by Mr Quarton of Toowoomba at the grounds of the jockey club. The course was designed to keep away from the running track proper.
The formal opening by the first patron Mr W.A Russell MLA, took place on October 23rd, 1926. In 1927/28, the club then moved to “Bishops Paddock” near the western railway with six holes developed, later to nine holes. Severe flooding forced a move from this site.
Later in 1930, the Dalby Town Council gave permission to construct a course on “commonage” from Duffy’s green westerly along the Myall Creek taking in part of the current site. June 1933 saw a sum of 150 pounds borrowed to purchase a club house, and in 1934 300 pounds saw the purchase of 104 acres and lease obtained from the Dalby Town Council for part of the reserve.
Prickly Pear eradication was continued and new fairways planted. Later in 1935, another ½ acre was purchased for the current clubhouse site and the previous building sold with a new club house erected.
By June 1936, 18 holes were officially opened along with the new clubhouse.
During the war years in the 40’s, nine holes of the course were closed and only six of those nine playable as the club encountered difficulties. After the war the club reinvigorated itself and found steady progress into the 50’s with 18 holes being re-established and extensions to the clubhouse. In 1958, those improvements were officially opened.
Early in the 1960’s, the Dalby Town installed sewerage works to the town and as a result the club was offered waste water for irrigation. Renowned golf course architect Mr Al Howard redesigned the course and planned the planting of grass greens which was duly carried out by the clubs members. In May 1965, the new grass greens were opened and by the 1970’s the inward nine was altered to Mr Howards original plans.
The present clubhouse was built and opened on June 1st, 1985.
1997 saw the underground network for the irrigation upgraded which allowed four fairways to be watered simultaneously along with tees and greens watering automated.
To this day the course conditions are largely reliant on the climate and therefore “preferred lie” is in play. Although the fairways are a mixture of couch grass and kikuyu grass, they are exceptional for the amount of watering they get. The greens are regarded as some of the best on the Darling Downs.
The clubhouse is a licenced venue which hosts functions and events such as weddings and Xmas parties.The course is open to the general public and the club hosts many open charity days for local organisations. The Dalby golf club is for all the community to use and we try very hard to ensure it is a welcoming venue for all to enjoy.
Dalby is an ideal course to enjoy a round of golf.
The facility is open to the public 7 days.
Visitors, non-members and new players are always welcome.
DALBY Qld 4405
Tel: 07 4662 2259
Wed: 12 noon to 6pm
Thurs to Sun: 7am - 7pm.